“Sundress” by A$AP Rocky
“Sundress” is the title of a 2018 single by American rapper and songwriter A$AP Rocky. In “Sundress”, Rocky directly addresses a girl who caused him so much hurt after abandoning him. He opens the song by talking about how he’s adjusting to pain after she left him for another man. He refers to the man she left him for as “the wrong man”.
In the first verse of “Sundress”, Rocky tells the girl that despite hurting him, he’s fine. Why? Because according to him, “love is blind”. However, he lets her know that he’s still healing from the hurt she brought upon him.
He begins the second verse by reminiscing about the wonderful times they had together. He talks about the trips to Tokyo that they made as well as their numerous shopping sprees. He even mentions how they often planned about having kids together in the future.
That said, he also reveals to the listener that he is currently seeing another woman. He does so with the following line:
“And you heard ’bout me and my bi**h
I’m just tryna chill”
However, just after that line, he tells the woman that he still thinks about her and knows that deep within her heart she still loves him.
He wraps up the song by once again lamenting about how she unfortunately found herself with “the wrong man”. This is basically the theme of the song’s chorus.
What is the meaning of Sundress?
In the traditional English dictionary, sundress is a type of dress for women worn in hot weather. The dress is designed in such a manner that when worn, it doesn’t cover certain parts of the body of the wearer such as the arms, shoulders and neck.
However, it is clear, A$AP Rocky isn’t literally referring to this dress in his song. He is obviously using it as a metaphor to refer to his girlfriend who left him. Since sundresses tend to be very attractive and special, we get a fair idea how Rocky sees this woman.
Facts about “Sundress”
- Rocky penned this song with Syk Sense, Danger Mouse, Hector Delgado. The latter two are longtime collaborators of Rocky. However, this is Syk’s first collaboration with Rocky.
- The production of “Sundress” was handled by Rocky in conjunction with the three other writers of the track.
- “Sundress” came out on 20th November, 2018. It was released along with its official music video.
- On November 1, 2018, due to an unknown reason, the song’s official music video was leaked online.
- Interestingly enough, the word “sundress” isn’t mentioned even once throughout the song.
- One of the highlights of this song is its sampling. It significantly samples the 2011 track “Why Won’t You Make Up Your Mind?” by Australian band Tame Impala. The sampling greatly boosted the popularity of “Why Won’t You Make Up Your Mind?” in 2018.
- Rocky performed “Sundress” live for the first time on 10th November, 2018 at the music festival, the Camp Flog Gnaw Carnival in L.A. This was approximately 19 days before the song’s official release.