Meaning of “This Is It” by Scotty McCreery
“This Is It” marks two momentous occasions in the life of Scotty McCreery. First amongst those was the moment he proposed to his wife, Gabi Dugal. This song was written before Scotty actually proposed, so clearly he was envisioning the scenario beforehand and details such not from his own perspective but rather based on how he presumed the lucky lady would feel. And second is the actual wedding itself, with a relatively-brief time being dedicated to that special ceremony near the end of the track.
The song is set in the North Carolina Mountains (where Scotty eventually held his real-life wedding ceremony). He leads his love with her eyes closed along a trail, which is all a setup to surprise her with “forever”, as in formally proposing to her. Afterwards, they share the “perfect kiss”, with McCreery assuring her that this is the moment she has been waiting for.
Near the end of the song, McCreery inserts references to an actual wedding, and he once again reminds Gabi that “this is it”. In other words, it is not only the moment which he promised her would occur but also the time in which they are enraptured in marital bliss and all the joy that comes along with such an event.
Facts about “This Is It”
- Writer(s): Despite this being a very personal song for Scotty McCreery, he didn’t write it alone. Songwriters Frank Rogers and Aaron Eshuis teamed up with him to compose this track. •
- Producer(s): Eshuis and Rogers worked together again to produce the track, with further input from Derek Wells.
- Album/EP: This song was featured on Scotty’s 2018 album, Seasons Change. Seasons Change was released as the fourth studio album of McCreery’s career.
- Release Date: “This Is It” was released on 9 March, 2018.
- Record Label: The song was released through the independent record label Triple Tigers Records.
- 1st Interesting Stuff: Scotty and his high school sweetheart, Gabi, whom this song is dedicated to, were eventually married in June of 2018, highlighted by a wedding ceremony which spanned a whole four-day weekend.
- 2nd Interesting Stuff: This track was so successful that it spent multiple weeks at the number 1 position on Billboard’s Country Airplay chart. Released way back in March of 2018, the song had been on the list for almost 10 months before claiming the top spot.
- 3rd Interesting Stuff: The music video of this track features actual footage from Scotty’s and Gabi’s wedding.
- Extra Interesting Trivia: Scotty McCreery was the winner of the popular talent-based reality-TV show American Idol during its 10th season in 2011.
Who directed the music video for “This Is It”?
The video was directed by American director and writer Jeff Ray.