“Meant to Be” by Bebe Rexha (featuring Florida Georgia Line)
“Meant to Be” is a famous song performed by American singer Bebe Rexha featuring the popular American country duo Florida Georgia Line. The lyrics were inspired by the motivating words uttered by Hayley Stommel, the wife of Tyler Hubbard. Hubbard is one of the writers of the song and the other half of the country duo Florida Georgia Line.
Speaking with Billboard, Rexha said during a writing session in Los Angeles with a number of songwriters (one of whom was Hubbard, the lead vocalist of Florida Georgia Line), Hubbard randomly told Rexha that his pregnant wife Hayley had earlier told him not to worry about whether or not they are able to write a hit song and that “if it is meant to be” that they pen a hit song, they certainly will. According to Rexha, at that very moment she knew Hubbard’s wife’s profound statement was the song they needed to write. She mentioned this to the team of songwriters and the song instantly began to pour out.
So basically the lyrics of “Meant to Be” teach us that the events in our lives are predetermined and can therefore not be avoided. Why then should we worry about them?
Rexha later told Billboard that the fatalistic theme of the song played an instrumental role in helping her surmount the personal troubles in her life. According to her, the lyrics helped her overcome a heartbreak as they made her feel better knowing that if something fails to work out the way one was expecting it to, then it just wasn’t meant to be and there’s something much better coming.
According to Hubbard, “Meant to Be” was a special song that fell into their laps from the sky.
Facts about “Meant to Be”
- “Meant to Be” was written by Rexha, Tyler Hubbard American music producer and songwriter David Garcia and Nashville-based songwriter Josh Miller.
- Music producer Willshire produced the song.
- “Meant to Be” was released on 24th October, 2017 as a single from Rexha’s third EP All Your Fault: Pt. 2. The song is also the lead single from Rexha’s debut studio album titled Expectations.
- The song’s music video, which was shot in Albuquerque, New Mexico, was directed by renowned English music video director Sophie Muller. Over the years, Muller has directed numerous music videos for such famous musical acts as Pink, Coldplay, Blur, Annie Lennox, Eurythmics, Beyoncé and Gwen Stefani.
- “Meant to Be” peaked at number 2 on the US Billboard Hot 100 and number 11 on the UK Singles Chart.
- Having debuted at number 1 on the US Country Airplay, it became the fourth song in the entire history of the country chart to achieve that feat. It also made Rexha the first female artist to ever debut at the top of the country chart.
What genre is “Meant to Be”?
It is purely a country pop song.
What prominent music awards has “Meant to Be” won so far?
It has won a number of awards. For example, the song was one of the numerous songs that won big at the 2018 Teen Choice Awards. It won in the category of the Choice Song: Group.
“Meant to Be” also won a Radio Disney Music Award and an iHeartRadio MMVA in 2018. At the 61st Annual Grammy Awards in 2019, the song was nominated in the Best Country Duo/Group Performance category. However, it lost that award to “Tequila” by Dan + Shay.