“No Brainer” by DJ Khaled
“No Brainer” is a song by renowned American DJ and record producer DJ Khaled. The song features American rappers Quavo and Chance the Rapper as well as Canadian singer/songwriter Justin Bieber. The majority of the lyrics of this song center on the theme of finding love.
What is the meaning of the term “no brainer”?
No brainer is a slang term used to refer to a decision/choice that doesn’t require much thinking to make because it is so clear and easy. Therefore if you tell someone that a decision or a choice is a no brainer, what you basically mean is that making the choice was so easy since there was no alternative as good as it. It can also mean anything that is easy to do, achieve or understand. The term is very popular in the United States.
That said, it becomes easy to understand what Justin Bieber says when he sings the lines below in the chorus:
In the first line, he is basically telling his love interest that her awesomeness is so obvious and easy to notice because she’s so wonderful. In the second line, he goes on to tell her that he’s also so awesome that choosing between him and another guy (who is also apparently interested in her) is a complete no brainer.
Facts about “No Brainer”
- “No Brainer” was written by DJ Khaled and 8 other musicians, including Justin Bieber, Chance the Rapper and Quavo. The others are: American songwriter/producer Sir Nolan, American record producer/singer-songwriter Poo Bear, American songwriter Melvin Riley and Korean-born American record producer/musician David Park (also known as Davidior).
- This tune was produced by DJ Khaled and three of the song’s co-writers: Davidior, Nic Nac and Poo Bear. Davidior created the beat from scratch before it was later enhanced by the other producers.
- On July 10th, 2018, a few weeks before the song’s release, Khaled appeared on the late-night talk show Conan and announced the arrival of the song. During his announcement, he revealed to the astonishment of the audience that his 20-month-old son named Asahd was the song’s executive producer. It is noteworthy that this isn’t the first time Khaled has credited Asahd as executive producer of a song. As a matter of fact, Asahd was credited as the executive producer of Khaled’s tenth studio album Grateful.
- “No Brainer” was released on July 27th, 2018. It is the official second single from Khaled’s eleventh studio album titled Father of Asahd. The album’s title is obviously Khaled’s way of telling the world he is proud to be the father of Asahd.
- The single’s cover art features a cartoon of all four artists on the track. In the cartoon drawing, there’s a little boy standing in front of Khaled and Bieber. That is Khaled’s beloved son Asahd.
- This track marks the second time that Khaled has worked together with trio (Chance the Rapper, Bieber and Quavo). The first time Khaled worked with the trio was on his 2017 smash hit “I’m the One”. That track also featured American rapper Lil Wayne.
- This track made its debut at the 5th position on the Billboard Hot 100. This gave Khaled his 4th top-ten hit in his home country. The tune also gave Bieber his 14th top-ten song on the Hot 100. As for Quavo and Chance the Rapper, it was their 5th and 2nd respectively on the Hot 100. On the UK Singles Chart, the tune debuted at number 4. This also gave Khaled the 3rd top-five hit in the United Kingdom.
- In August, at the backstage of a concert in South Korea, American singer Halsey videoed herself dancing joyfully to this track. She shared the video on her Twitter account.
- The music video for “No Brainer” came out on the same day (27th July) the song was officially released. It stars all four artists, including DJ Khaled’s son Asahd.
What type of music is “No Brainer”?
The tune falls perfectly into the genre of pop-rap.