“Rodeo” by Lil Nas X & Cardi B
Lil Nas X and Cardi B approach the song “Rodeo” from a romantic perspective, though it is likely they are referring to two different relationships.
Lil Nas X’s Verse
Nas X is dealing with a partner who is overdependent on various forms of his support. As such, he is apparently demanding that she become more independent, as he does not seem intent on continuing such actions. However, he ends the verse expressing a desire to spend some quality time with her and overall does not come off as if he wants to end the relationship.
Cardi B’s Verse
Meanwhile Cardi’s verse is centered on her threatening her lover, with death, if he decides to leave her. She lets him know that she has no intention of being “no ni**a ex”, as in someone’s ex-girlfriend. She dealt with ‘a ni**a doing her dirty’, as in a lover betraying her, in the past, and it is an experience which she will not tolerate again. And by insinuation, her character is anything but the overly-dependent type depicted by Nas X.
But if she is actually supposed to be the woman X is referring to, than her reaction would likely be based on one line in the middle of his verse where, to some extent, he threatens his lady with breakup. But also, it should be noted that in the chorus, Nas X is the one who has apparently been dumped.
So yes, this is, in essence, a love song. And both of the artists approach it as participants in a romance. Yet they seem to do so rapping about their own respective relationships as opposed to a mutual one. But where they do find common ground is that neither wants their partner to treat the romance like a “rodeo” – a wild, unpredictable American-outback sport where participant can lose hard at a moment’s notice. Nas X seems to be in the midst of experiencing something to that effect, while Cardi B is also concerned about being ‘left cold’, as in dumped.
Facts about “Rodeo”
- The composition of this track was influenced by country music as with Lil Nas X’s previous mega-hit, “Old Town Road”.
- “Rodeo” is featured on the debut EP of Lil Nas X’s musical career. That EP is titled 7. 7 also features other notable songs such as “Old Town Road” and “Panini”.
- With the exception of country music star Billy Ray Cyrus, Cardi B is the only other guest star to make an appearance on 7.
- Sony Music Entertainment and Columbia Records released “Rodeo” with the rest of 7 on 21 June 2019.
- This track was produced by Russ Chell, Roy Lenzo and Take a Daytrip (Denzel Baptiste and David Biral). Those same individuals also assisted Lil Nas X and Cardi B in writing the song.
Is this song the first collaboration between Cardi B and Nas X?
“Rodeo” marks the first collaboration between Nas and Cardi (in terms of recording a song). But before the release of this song, Cardi did bring Nas onstage to perform “Old Town Road” during a performance she held. This was on 9 May 2019.