“Closer” by The Chainsmokers and Halsey
“Closer” is the story of a romance that dissolved in the past. But now, years later, it has been resurrected as a result of a chance meeting between the two participants. Upon seeing each other, the former lovers realize that they are still interested in each other and decide to hookup. References made throughout the song, like those pointing to actual places, are not symbolic but recalls of the songwriters’ past.
Ultimately, “Closer” is a track dedicated to the power of undying love. As such, the singers themselves exclaim that the affection they share empowers them to remain forever youthful.
Facts about “Closer”
- “Closer” was written by The Chainsmokers’ member Andrew Taggart along with Halsey and a couple of others. The Chainsmokers produced this song.
- The song made Billboard’s distinguished list of “100 Best Pop Songs of 2016”.
- The track reached diamond status in the United States, meaning it sold at least 10 million copies.
- The sound of the song was influenced by another track, “I Miss You” by Blink-182. Halsey actually gives a shoutout to Blink-182 in “Closer”.
- “Closer” is actually the first time Andrew Taggart had sung lead on one of the Chainsmokers’ songs.
- Former Fifth Harmony member Camila Cabello claimed that she was supposed to be featured on the track instead of Halsey. She even said she went as far as doing a recording for it. However, due to commitments with her group, she had to turn the opportunity down.
- This track was premiered during Halsey’s live performance with the Chainsmokers in 2016 at the Bonnaroo Music and Arts Festival. That musical festival is held annually in Tennessee.
- Andrew Taggart admitted that, true to the lyrics of the song, he has had “relationship issues” due to drinking.
How did “Closer” perform on the charts?
It was so successful that it reached number 1 in both the United States as well as in the United Kingdom. When it topped the Billboard Hot 100, it marked the first time either The Chainsmokers or Halsey reached number one on that charts. It held the number one position on the Hot 100 for 12 consecutive weeks.
It also holds the distinction of remaining in the top 5 of the Billboard Hot 100 for 26 weeks – being the first song to do so. It also remained in the top 10 for 26 weeks, making it only the second song to accomplish this feat as of 2018.
Before the release of this track, the Chainsmokers made it into the top 10 of the Billboard Hot 100 twice. However, Halsey had never done so.
Who wrote “Closer” by The Chainsmokers?
Below is a complete list of all the songwriters who came together to write this global hit song:
- Andrew Taggart of the Chainsmokers
- Joe King
- Frederic Kennett
- Shaun Frank
- Isaac Slade
What was the release date of “Closer”?
The track was officially released on 29 July 2016.
Did “Closer” receive a Grammy Award?
No. However, it did receive a Grammy nomination in 2017 for “Best Pop Duo/Group Performance”. It lost to Twenty One Pilots’ “Stressed Out”.