“Easier” by 5 Seconds of Summer
This track is based on a tumultuous romance the singer is engaged in. However, unlike other songs with a similar foundation, “Easier” takes a different approach. For instance, it does not seem as if any of the participants in this relationship are going anywhere. In fact the song suggests that they actually enjoy the conflicts which are part and parcel of their union. Or perhaps more specifically they love each other as they are despite the fact that they are constantly at each other’s throats.
Moreover the singer does not express a desire to transform himself, i.e. be kinder to his partner. Rather he states that he is “never ever going to change” in addition to her likelihood of “stay(ing) the same”.
Owing to the above, it is safe to say this song is not based on a call for the lovers to alter their personalities in the name of preventing conflict, although it is clear the singer is tired of fighting. Rather it has him debating whether it is “easier to stay” or “to go”. Or put differently, which is the ideal route – to terminate the relationship or to keep it ongoing? Yet despite making this inquiry which is central to the theme of the song, he has already concluded that he “doesn’t want to know”. In other words, even though the two of them go at it regularly and even publicly, he really has no desire for their relationship to end.
Facts about “Easier”
- 5 Seconds of Summer (5SOS) had been teasing this track for about a week before it was officially released. This included a snippet initially posted on Twitter on 19 May 2019 as well as a direct-messaging campaign aimed at fans.
- “Easier” was officially released by Interscope Records on 23 May 2019.
- The music video to this track features “dark” imagery of the band, amongst other things, drowning and being bound.
- “Easier” is the lead single from 5SOS’s fourth album, with the music video in particular signifying a change in the band’s style.
- The “hard rock” sound 5SOS used in this track was inspired by late 20th century music, specifically the Nine Inch Nails’ track “Closer” (1994).
- This track was written by the members of 5 Seconds of Summer (Ashton Irwin, Calum Hood, Luke Hemmings and Michael Clifford) along with soloist Charlie Puth and Ryan Tedder of OneRepublic.
- 5SOS also took total charge of the song’s production.