Lewis Capaldi’s “Someone You Loved” Lyrics Meaning
To put things succinctly, in “Someone You Loved” Scottish singer Lewis Capaldi is lamenting over a lost love. Capaldi misses the benefits he enjoyed while he was with his significant other, when he was actually someone that she loved.
He is obviously dealing with some sort of psychological issue. And this psychological challenge is most likely depression. He is in a pretty dark place and badly needs regular emotional support. In the past, this would have apparently been granted to him by his girlfriend. But now that their relationship has dissolved, he is basically defenseless. He has no one around who cares enough to help him deal with these issues. How their relationship ended is not really made clear in the song. However, based on the lyrics, it seems that Capaldi lost her unexpectedly.
The aftershocks of being left alone are paining Lewis not only due to his depression but also the fact that he was getting accustomed to being the recipient of his significant other’s care and love. And the situation is made more unbearable, considering, as alluded to earlier, that everyday life itself does not seem to be something Capaldi particularly enjoys.
Facts about “Someone You Loved”
- Writer(s): “Someone You Loved” was written by at least 5 songwriters, including Lewis Capaldi himself. The other co-writers include Tom Barnes, Ben Kohn, Pete Kelleher and RØMANS.
- Producer(s): The track was produced by The Music Shed (TMS).
- Album/EP: “Someone You Loved” was featured on Capaldi’s 2018 EP titled Breach. It also appears on his debut album Divinely Inspired to a Hellish Extent.
- Release Date: The original release date for this track was 8 November 2018.
- 1st Interesting Stuff: Renowned British actor Peter Capaldi stars in the “Someone You Loved” music video. Interestingly enough, Peter is a distant relative of Lewis’s.
- 2nd Interesting Stuff: The song peaked at number 1 in Capaldi’s home country of Scotland. It also made it into the top 5 in a number of countries, including the UK and Ireland. Prior to this song, Capaldi had never tasted such massive chart success in the UK.
- 3rd Interesting Stuff: In late October 2019, “Someone You Love” helped Capaldi make history, as no other Scottish soloist had topped the Billboard Hot 100 since Sheena Easton did so in 1981 with a song called “9 to 5 (Morning Train)”.
Powerful Message in the music video of “Some You Loved”
Just like the lyrics of the song, its video also carries a profound theme of loss. In the video, the main character (Peter Capaldi) struggles to cope with the demise of his beloved wife. As she died, she donated her heart to a young mother, thereby saving that woman’s life. Owing to this exceptional gesture of kindness, the widower and the young woman and her family form a strong bond. The fact that the widower knows his wife’s heart lives on in this young woman’s bosom gives him solace and hope. His wife might be dead. However, she still lives on. And that means the world to him.
Capaldi’s team made this very touching video with the UK charity Live Life Give Life. This charity’s main goal is to raise public awareness about organ donation.
Second Music Video
On August 29, 2019, Capaldi and his team dropped another official music video for this song. You can watch that video below: