Meaning of “Friends” by Marshmello and Anne-Marie
“Friends” is a song by American music producer and DJ Marshmello along with English singer Anne-Marie. The lyrics of “Friends” center on the theme of friend zoning. FYI: Friend zone is the awkward situation where a friend of yours decides he/she wants something more than just friendship with you and asks for a romantic affair.
In the lyrics, the singer (Anne-Marie) gets super angry at her male friend for his numerous attempts to enter into a romantic relationship with her. Anne-Marie, who clearly isn’t interested in moving her friendship with the guy to another level, angrily tells him time and again that all she wants is friendship. She even goes as far as spelling the word “friends” (F-R-I-E-N-D-S) to him, so he can get it.
All in all, this song is basically one about friend zoning and unrequited love.
But are the lyrics of this track autobiographical?
The answer is a big YES. In an interview with the free daily English newspaper the London Evening Standard regarding this track, Anne-Marie shed some light on it. She said the lyrics of the song were inspired by a male pal of hers who tried multiple times being more than a pal with her. According to the singer, she had no interest in their friendship moving to the next level. She therefore told him in the face multiple times she wanted nothing more than friendship with him. In her London Evening Standard interview, she said never wants that male friend of hers to ever know that the lyrics of this song are about him. Why? To her, “it’s awkward”.
Friend Zone Anthem
In another interview with music website Genius, Anne-Marie called the song a “friend-zone anthem”. She said if you found yourself in the situation where you needed to friend zone someone, you could just send them this track and “everything will be sweet”.
Facts about “Friends”
- The song was written by Anne-Marie and 7 other songwriters, including Marshmello. The other songwriters are: Richard Boardman, Jasmine Thompson, Sarah Blanchard, Eden Anderson, Pablo Bowman and Natalie Dunn.
- The song’s production was handled primarily by Marshmello.
- Working on this track was the first time both Anne-Marie and Marshmello had worked together. That said, it is worth noting that prior to working on this song, Marshmello remixed Anne-Marie’s 2016 hit Alarm. However, since the pair didn’t physically meet to work together, we don’t see that a collaboration.
- “Friends” officially came out on February 9, 2018 as the 5th single from Anne-Marie’s debut studio album which goes by the title Speak Your Mind. On that same record is Anne-Marie’s global hit “2002“.
- When the song initially came out, many felt Anne-Marie was spelling the word “F-R-I-E-N-D-S” wrongly because the alphabet “E” in the spelling can’t be really heard.
- The track’s music video was directed by American music video director Hannah Lux Davis who is famed for working with such famous artists as Miley Cyrus, Demi Lovato, Lil Wayne and Ariana Grande.
- On the UK Singles Chart, the song peaked at number 4. On the US Billboard Hot 100, “Friends” made it to the number 11 position.
Does “Friends” contain any samples?
This song doesn’t contain elements of any other song(s).
What musical genre is this song?
It fits perfectly into the categories of EDM and pop music.