Meaning of “I’m Upset” by Drake
“I’m Upset” is a song by the famed Canadian rapper and singer Drake. The lyrics of the song center on Drake’s anger and frustration at two major things. The first being “gold diggers” who only come to him because they want to take his hard earned money away from him. And by “gold digger”, the rapper is referring to some of the women he has come across who come with fake love just to grab his money.
In addressing the issue of women giving him fake love and wanting his money, Drake talks about a particular woman whose bills he is obliged to pay at the end of every month and give her whatever she wants. It’s unclear who this woman is.
The second major issue the song’s lyrics address is the issues of enemies coming after him. He talks about the sheer number of rappers in the industry disrespecting him and how these rappers deliberately look for a beef with him just in order to gain publicity.
Bounty on Drake’s Head?
In the song, Drake talks about a bounty on his head. He mentions three bounty amounts that his enemies have put on his head: $50,000, $100,000, and $500,000. In the lyrics, Drake calls the first two bounty amounts ($50,000 and $100,000) too little to be put on the head of someone of his caliber. He therefore finds them offending and highly disrespectful. However, with regard to the last bounty amount of half a million dollars, the rapper talks about being the figure being manageable to the point where he can “accept” because it makes him feel as though “someone tried their best”. But he goes on to warn the person(s) to be his guest if they feel they are ready to “waste half a million” dollars.
That said, what isn’t clear is whether the rapper is talking about the bounty literally or metaphorically. We strongly hope it’s the latter! If it is the latter, then it is likely Drake is referring to the cheap deals people offer him. On the other hand, if he means this in a literal sense, then Drake is basically implying that his enemies are trying to kill him.
Is “I’m Upset” about Drake’s Beef with Pusha T?
In response to many speculating that this track is related to Drake’s feud with American rapper Pusha T, Drake took to the social media platform Instagram to let his fans and the world know that the song is in no way connected to that particular beef.
Interestingly, despite Drake saying this track has nothing to do with his beef with Pusha, Pusha released the track “The Story of Adidon” on May 29, 2018 in response to Drake’s “I’m Upset”. In one of the lines from Pusha’s “The Story of Adidon”, Pusha emphatically talked about the track, in which he mocks Drake saying his “upset” and going on to say he wants to see how it’s like when Drake gets angry.
Facts about “I’m Upset”
- “I’m Upset” was co-written by Drake and a songwriter who goes by the name Jordan Oritz.
- The track was produced by American music producers Oogie Mane. Prior to producing this track, Oogie was a relatively unknown producer.
- “I’m Upset” was officially released on May 26, 2018 as the third single from Drake’s fifth studio album Scorpion.
- The music video of “I’m Upset”, which was directed by Canadian actress and music video director Karena Evans, features cast members of the Canadian teen drama TV series Degrassi: The Next Generation. It’s worth noting that prior to gain international stardom as a rapper, Drake starred in this TV series. In the series, Drake played a character named Jimmy Brooks – a basketball star from a wealthy family.
- The phrase “I’m upset” appears only three times in the lyrics of the song.
- “I’m Upset” peaked at number 7 on the US Billboard Hot 100 and number 37 on the UK Singles Chart.