Meaning of “One Kiss” by Calvin Harris and Dua Lipa
“One Kiss” is a love song by noted Scottish DJ/music producer Calvin Harris and Albanian-born English singer Dua Lipa. Lyrically, this song sees the singer (Lipa) talking about how falling in love is easy and that all it takes for her love interest and her to fall in love is just a single kiss. Hence the title of the track “One Kiss”!
Among other very romantic things, the singer talks about how wonderful her lover makes her feel and how something in him/her lights up heaven in her. According to her, that wonderful feeling she gets from her lover prevents her from sleeping at night.
All in all, this track, whose sound is heavily inspired by 1990s house music, centers on nothing but pure romance between the singer and her unknown lover.
Facts about “One Kiss”
- This track was penned by Calvin Harris, Dua Lipa and Canadian singer-songwriter Jessie Reyez. Prior to this song, Reyez had once worked with Harris. The pair worked together in 2017 when Harris featured her on his track Hard to Love. As for Lipa, this was her first time working with Harris.
- “One Kiss”, was produced solely by Harris, was written and produced entirely in Calvin Harris’ house in Los Angeles.
- The song came out on 6th April, 2018. It can be found on the album Now That’s What I Call Music! 100 (2018) – the 100th edition of the compilation series of famous pop hits Now That’s What I Call Music.
- In the official music video of “One Kiss”, Harris plays the role of a waiter. The video was directed by the renowned British music video director Emil Nava. Nava has over the years directed music videos for numerous artists ranging from Jennifer Lopez to Ed Sheeran to Pharrell Williams.
- The track was a major success for both Harris and Lipa. It reached number 1 in several countries in a number of countries across the globe, including the United Kingdom. On the US Billboard Hot 100, the song made it to the number 29 spot.
- Having kicked Drake’s 2018 smash hit “Nice for What” from the number one position on the UK Singles Chart, “One Kiss” became the ninth number one single of Harris’ career in the United Kingdom. For Lipa, it was her second single to make it to the top spot in the United Kingdom. Her very first UK number single was her 2017 hit “New Rules”.
What musical genre is “One Kiss”?
This track belongs in the following genres of music: dance-pop, Eurodance, deep house, tropical house, and funk house.
Does this song contain samples?
According to WhoSampled.com, “One Kiss” samples the 1982 song “Flash It to the Beat” by the legendary American hip hop group Grandmaster Flash and The Furious Five.