“Stop Trying to Be God” By Travis Scott
“Stop Trying to Be God” is a song by American rapper and singer Travis Scott (Travi$ Scott). The lyrics of this track see Travis talking about a number of things, most notably about not making the mistake of forgetting where one comes from to the point where one ends up with a God complex.
Is “Stop Trying to Be God” directed at Kendrick Lamar?
Many fans have suggested that the lyrics of this track appear to be directed at American hip hop recording artist Kendrick Lamar. What do we think? While we are not exactly sure who the lyrics of this track are targeting, it is highly likely they aren’t targeting Lamar. We say this because as of the time the song came out, there wasn’t any known friction between the two rappers. And what’s more, Scott and Lamar have collaborated multiple times in the past. Based on this, it is not likely Scott is directing this song at Kendrick Lamar.
Is Stevie Wonder featured on the track?
Yes, he is. The harmonica you hear at the outro of track was played by the iconic American singer Stevie Wonder.
Other Notable artists on the track
In addition to Wonder, the track features the following famous musicians:
- Multiple Grammy Award winning American singer Philip Bailey of the legendary Earth, Wind and Fire group.
- American singer and actor Kid Cudi.
- English musician James Blake.
All four artists sing the vocals on “Stop Trying to Be God”. Of all the four musicians who featured on the track, Kid Cudi and James Blake are the only ones Scott had worked with in the past. For the other two (Wonder and Bailey), this song marked Scott’s first collaboration with them.
Facts about “Stop Trying to Be God”
- The track was penned by Travis Scott and three other songwriters, including English singer/songwriter James Blake. The other songwriters who received writing credits on the track are the German production duo Cubeatz. The duo is made up of twin brothers Tim Gomringer and Kevin Gomringer. Over the course of their career, Cubeatz have worked with a number of famous hip hop recording artists such as Drake, Cardi B, Nicki Minaj and Lil Wayne.
- “Stop Trying to Be God” was produced by Scott along with Cubeatz. Music producers J Beatzz and Mike Dean are also credited as producers on this track.
- The track was released on August 3rd, 2018 as a single from Travis Scott’s third studio album Astroworld.
- The music video of “Stop Trying to Be God”, which was officially released on August 6th, 2018, features American reality television star and model Kylie Jenner. Jenner is the mother of Scott’s daughter Stormi Webster. The music video was directed by American music video and film director Dave Meyers.
Does Stevie Wonder appear in the music video of “Stop Trying to Be God”?
No, he doesn’t. Of all the prominent singers featured on the track, only Blake appears in the clip.