XXXTentacion’s “Look At Me!” Lyrics Meaning
This track has been described as “somewhat of an anthem for disenfranchised teenagers”, verifiable by the fact that it went platinum back in 2017. That said, the contents of XXXTentacion’s “Look At Me” doesn’t particularly have anything to do with teens or the society they live in at large.
Rather, to be totally honest, this brief song is primarily about aspects of X’s intimate life, particularly his preference for a certain type of intimate activity.
For instance, XXXtentacion highlights the fact that he has difficulty being disciplined (from a sensual standpoint). It is unclear if this contributed to his girlfriend dumping him, which he states has occurred. However, the aspect of their relationship he reminiscences on the most is the intimate part.
Later X also recounts tales of taking a “White b**ch” on a cheap date that resulted in her doing his favorite thing to him.
Aside the above, there are other topics XXXTentacion delves into in the lyrics of this song. For example, he mentions some of the expensive clothing brands, such as Tommy Hilfiger and Ksubi, that he likes wearing. He also brings up the issue of gun violence by threatening those who pullout firearms on his homeys with retribution by targeting their parents. Moreover he gives a quick shoutout to his enjoyment of lean and weed, apparently using the latter even while recording in the studio.
After all is said and done, what the song ultimately and undeniably boils down to is XXXTentacion’s love of having very intimate adventurous affairs with women.
Facts about “Look at Me”
- Three songwriters, including XXXTentacion are credited with the writing of “Look at Me”. The other two are Rojas and Jimmy Duval.
- Co-writers Duval and Rojas co-produced this track.
- According to the song’s co-writer and producer, Rojas, X used only “15 minutes” to create this song.
- X released this song for the first time on 20th December, 2015. The release was done through Soundcloud.
- This was the lead and only single from XXXTentacion’s debut mixtape titled Revenge.
- X’s team subsequently re-released this track multiple times. On 29th January, 2016, it was released on iTunes. It was released again on 20th February, 2017.
- “Look at Me!” falls into the category of a sleeper hit. Why? Despite being released as far back as 2015, the song didn’t become a major hit until 2017.
- The track was so successful it not only debuted at number 94 on the Billboard Hot 100, but it also went on to peak at number 34 on the chart in question. The song holds the distinction of being X’s first single to chart. As of the publishing of this post, this track is X’s longest-charting single.
- The success of “Look at Me!” played a very important role in catapulting XXXTentacion into the limelight. Simply put, this song paved the way for him to success, fame and wealth.
- In 2017, Drake was accused of copying X’s flow on “Look at Me!” in his song “KMT”. X, who was in jail at the time of the release of “KMT”, strongly condemned Drake as soon as he was released from jail on parole. He called Drake a “bi**h” and referred to his action as a “bi**h move”.
Does “Look at Me!” have an official music video?
Yes, it does. We would have greatly loved to include the video in this post. However, due to its offensive nature, we unfortunately can’t do so. In addition to the very offensive lyrics of the song, the video also contains very graphic scenes. One such graphic scene showed a young Caucasian child being hung. This particular scene was widely condemned by many. However, X defended it claiming it was nothing but art. X later revealed via Instagram that he was threatened by someone from the Ku Klux Klan for the scene that depicted the murder of the white child.
Are there any samples on “Look at Me!”?
Yes. It samples Mala’s 2007 song titled “Changes”. Mala is an English DJ, songwriter and music producer. He is best known for his membership of the duo Digital Mystikz.
Did “Look at Me!” receive any certification?
Yes, it did. In August 2017, the song earned Platinum certification by the RIAA after selling more than a million copies.
Is it true that one of the writers/producers of “Look at Me!” reportedly sued XXXTentacion over this song?
In March 2019 (barely a year after XXXTentacion was brutally murdered), the song’s co-producer, Jimmy Duval, revealed he was suing X’s estate for unpaid royalties from this song. According to him, not only was he “removed from all credits”, but he also didn’t receive his share of the royalties generated from the song. Below is Duval’s Instagram statement regarding the suit: