“11 Minutes” by Yungblud and Halsey (featuring Travis Barker)
The time duration mentioned in the title of this track is not referring to its length. Rather it is a measurement of the amount of distance that lies between Halsey and Yungblud, who take on the roles of two lovers in this song. And in the chorus, they are asking each other, ‘If you are such a short space away, then why aren’t you here?’
According to Yungblud himself, “11 Minutes” is based on the interactions between a couple who are so focused on the future that they don’t appreciate the present until they are deprived of each other. A more-precise description is that the relationship is deteriorating under the weight of outside, societal inputs. These explanations would seem to indicate that the chorus isn’t so much about the couple missing each other as it is the fact that the dominant culture itself dictates that if they are in such close proximity, then they should be together.
This does not negate the fact that the pair actually care for each other. In fact the overall theme of the song is their individual longings for the romance of the other. However, it seems at some point there was some type of breakup or contention between the two. Despite this, both still crave an explanation of why the other is not in their company.
What Yungblud said about the song
Talking to iHeartRadio, here are the exact words Yungblud used in explaining the meaning of “11 Minutes”:
Facts about “11 Minutes”
- Writer(s): This track was written by Yungblud, Matt Schwartz, Halsey and Brynley Plumb.
- Producer(s): A number of producers teamed up to produce this song. They include Chris Greatti, Matt Schwartz and Zakk Cervini.
- Release Date: “11 Minutes” was released on Valentine’s Day, February 14, 2019.
- Record Label: The labels it was released under are Universal Music Group, Geffen Records and Locomotion Music.
- 1st Interesting Stuff: In addition to making this track together, at the time of song’s creation and release, it was credibly-rumored that singers Yungblud and Halsey were also in a real-life relationship.
- 2nd Interesting Stuff: “11 Minutes” marked the first time that Halsey, Yungblud and Travis Barker teamed up to collaborate on a track.
- 3rd Interesting Stuff: Travis Barker doesn’t contribute any vocals on this track despite being featured on it. Considering Barker isn’t a singer, it really isn’t surprising.
Which album is “11 Minutes” on?
It currently isn’t featured on any album.
Does “11 Minutes” have an official music video?
Yes, it does. The video, which was directed by Colin Tilley, was released on February 21, 2019. The aforementioned clip can be viewed below: