Meaning of “I Like Me Better” by Lauv
“I Like Me Better” is a worldwide smash hit single recorded by American singer and songwriter Lauv. In the lyrics, Lauv, who is deeply in love with his girlfriend, tells her just how much he treasures her presence in his life. According to him, he likes himself better whenever he is in her company. That’s how awesome the love is to him.
Inspiration behind the song
According to Genius, Lauv said the lyrics of the song are about when he moved to New York to further his education. He was 18 at that time and had just fallen in love for the very first time in his life. According to him, at that time, there was so much craziness in his life. However, the love he and his girlfriend shared brought him happiness because it was “dope”.
Owing to this, it is safe to say that the song is autobiographical. It is about the amazing feeling that overtook Lauv when he fell in love for the first time.
Facts about “I Like Me Better”
- Lauv co-wrote and produced the song. He wrote and produced the song in his bedroom. He revealed this in a message he posted on Twitter in July 2017.
- When Lauv got the melody for this song, he quickly used his cell phone to voicemail it to himself. Why? Because he loved it so much he didn’t want to forget it.
- “I Like Me Better” was self released on May 19, 2017. It is categorized as a sleeper hit because it only became a hit several months later in the middle of 2018. That’s over a year after being released.
- Upon peaking at number 27 on the US Billboard Hot 100, the track gave Lauv the first top 40 single of his career.
- Aside seeing success in the United States, the track also met with success in Europe and other parts of the world. For example, it made it into the top 10 in Australia, Germany, Austria and Romania. On the UK Singles Chart, this sleeper hit peaked at number 58.
- Despite the song’s official title being “I Like Me Better”, some mistake it to be “I Like Me Better When I’m With You”.
- The song was used in the trailer for the 2018 teen romantic comedy To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before. That film stars the likes of Lana Condor, Janel Parrish and Noah Centineo.
Did Lauv make a music video for this hit?
Yes. “I Like Me Better” has a music video. The video was directed by Alex Di Marco.
Who did Lauv co-write this track with?
A songwriter named Michael Matosic.
Which album is “I Like Me Better” on?
You can find it on the album I Met You When I Was 18. (The Playlist). That’s Lauv’s second album. It is the first track on that album.