Meaning of “Psycho” by Post Malone (feat. Ty Dolla $ign)
“Psycho” is a song by American rapper, songwriter and singer Post Malone featuring fellow American rapper and singer Ty Dolla Sign (Ty Dolla $ign). The lyrics of “Psycho” center on a number of things in the lives of Malone and Ty Dolla Sign, most notably their lifestyles as wealthy and famous men. For example, in the song, Malone talks about people wanting to draw closer to him not because they like him but mainly because of the fortune and fame that he has found. In hammering on the wealth he created for himself, Malone brags about interesting things such as his teeth being weighed by so many diamonds and his money being so thick that he cannot even fold it.
In addition to the issue of wealth and fame, the lyrics also mention issues relating to trust brought on by riches and fame. In the lyrics, Malone laments about being unable to trust anybody because of the massive wealth he has acquired.
Facts about “Psycho”
- “Psycho” was written by Post Malone (whose real name is Austin Richard Post), Ty Dolla Sign (Ty Dolla $ign) and American songwriter and record producer Louis Bell. Besides being famous for working with Post Malone, Bell is also popular for his collaborations with such famous artists as Lorde, Justin Bieber and Camila Cabello. For example, he co-wrote Cabello’s 2017 smash hit song “Havana“.
- “Psycho” was produced by Post Malone and Louis Bell.
- The song was released on October 20th, 2017 as the 3rd single from Malone’s critically acclaimed and commercially successful 2nd studio album Beerbongs & Bentleys.
- The melody of “Psycho” to a certain degree resembles that of Malone’s 2015 debut single titled “White Iverson”.
- The song reached number 1 in several countries, including Australia, Canada and Sweden. The song also made it to number 1 on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 and number 4 on the U.K. Singles Chart, thereby making it one of the most successful singles ever released by Malone.
- The song’s accompanying official music video, which was filmed by music video director James DeFina, came out on 22nd March, 2018.