Melanie Martinez’s “Pity Party” Lyrics Meaning
“Pity Party” simply tells the story of the narrator’s frustration as she is left all alone at her birthday party to which she invited several of her ‘friends’. Apparently none of them showed up, resulting in her getting upset and overly emotional.
The verses of the song find Melanie Martinez questioning the reason for their absence. She ends up somehow blaming herself for not knowing them well, or not doing something right. Though she really wants to know why all her ‘friends’ abandoned her on such a special day, she puts up a thought that she doesn’t really care.
But left all alone after putting so much effort into pleasing her friends, she gets into an emotional fit, crying as she feels miserable, and unable to control her emotions.
Melanie Martinez’s statement about “Pitty Party”
Speaking to Digital Journal on the theme of the song, Melanie said that it was mainly about no one showing up for her birthday party, and it was greatly inspired by tunes from the 50s and 60s. In another interview with Pop Dust, the singer explained that the song is a part of Cry Baby’s story, where she falls in love and invites her love interest and all her friends for a party to which neither of them show up.
Quick Facts about “Pity Party”
- “Pity Party” samples the classic 1963 American tune “It’s My Party” by Leslie Gore.
- This track served as the lead single from Melanie Martinez’s debut album, “Cry Baby”.
- Atlantic Records officially released “Pity Party” on 1 June 2015.
- In addition to singing the song, Melanie Martinez also served as one of its co-writers and the director of its music video.
- “Pity Party” charted in the Czech Republic, Finland, Slovakia, the United Kingdom and Melanie’s home country of the United States.
- The track has also been certified Platinum in America as well as in Canada.
- Melanie’s sophomore EP, which also featured “Pity Party”, was named after this song. However, it should be noted that the track originally appeared on her “Cry Baby” album (which was her debut album).
Who are the other songwriters that assisted Melanie Martinez compose this song?
They are as follows:
- C. Baran (who also produced it)
- W. Gold
- J. Gluck
- S. Gottlieb
- K. DioGuardi