Meaning of “Changes” by XXXTentacion
“Changes” is a song recorded and performed by the late American singer/rapper XXXTentacion. The song’s lyrics see the heartbroken rapper/singer talking about his romantic relationship with his significant other which is rapidly going bad.
Many believe that the song is autobiographical and that the girl XXXTentacion is singing about is none other than his former girlfriend Geneva Ayala. That said, it is important to take note of the fact that throughout his short lifetime, X never said exactly who the lyrics of the song are addressed to and whether the lyrics are autobiographical or not.
Who is Geneva Ayala?
Like was said earlier, Geneva was the late rapper’s former girlfriend. Geneva and X met each other for the first in the latter part of 2014 and began an on-off relationship for a couple of years. X, who was believed to have been about 2 years younger than Geneva, was alleged to have been verbally and physically abusive towards Geneva throughout their relationship. In October 2016, X was arrested and charged with aggravated battery after he allegedly beat her mercilessly during a fit of anger. In addition to that, he was also accused of locking her up in his house for multiple days. Geneva reportedly managed to escape and reported him to the authorities. She was at that time pregnant with his child.
At the time of X’s shocking death at the age of 20, he was awaiting trial for assaulting Ayala.
Facts about “Changes”
- “Changes” was co-written by XXXTentacion, his longtime collaborator John Cunningham and rapper Rakim Allen (best known as PnB Rock), who gained international stardom with the release of his hit song “Selfish” in 2016.
- The song’s co-writer John Cunningham produced handled the song’s production.
- “Changes’ was officially released on March 2, 2018 as the one of the singles from his second studio album titled ?. Since the song came out a few months before XXXTentacion was fatally shot in Miami, Florida, it is officially the last single of his that was released during his lifetime.
- The song’s bridge was sung by PnB Rock.
- On the US Billboard Hot 100, the track peaked at number 18. On the UK Singles Chart, it made it to number 33.