Meaning of “I Like It” by Cardi B, Bad Bunny and J Balvin
“I Like It” is a song performed in both the English and Spanish languages. The song was recorded and performed by American rapper/former stripper Cardi B, Puerto Rican singer Bad Bunny and Colombian reggaeton singer J Balvin. As the title “I Like It” suggests, the song’s lyrics basically see Cardi B talking about some of the really cool things that she likes.
The following are some of the interesting things that Cardi B raps about liking in the song:
- Dollars (lots of money)
- Million dollar deals
- Stunting (it’s not explicitly clear what she means by stunting)
- Balenciagas, which “look like socks”. Balenciaga is a famous luxury fashion brand.
- Visiting the jeweler (of course for diamonds)
- Receiving text messages from her ex boyfriends who want her back
- Proving n****s wrong and doing what they told her she could never achieve in life
In an interview with Billboard magazine, J. White (who is one of the producers of the song) said the song’s lyrics not only see Cardi B talking about the stuff she likes but also see her celebrating the successes and achievements she has chalked over the years.
Facts about “I Like It”
- The track was written by Cardi B and two other songwriters: Bad Bunny and J Balvin.
- “I Like It” was produced by Puerto Rican reggaeton producer Tainy. Tainy is also known for working with such famous artists as Jennifer Lopez, Janet Jackson and Paris Hilton. Music producers Invincible and J. White also contributed to the production of the track.
- The song officially came out on 25th May, 2018 as the fourth single from the album Invasion of Privacy, which is the debut studio album of Cardi B.
- The official music video of “I Like It” was directed by music video director Eif Rivera. The video was shot in Cuban dominated place called Calle Ocho in Little Havana, Miami.
- On the UK Singles Chart, this track peaked at number 8. On the US Billboard Hot 100, it peaked at the number 1 spot, thereby making it Cardi B’s second song to top that chart after her global hit single “Bodak Yellow (Money Moves)” achieved that same feat in 2017. Owing to this, Cardi B made history by becoming the first female rapper in the entire history of the Hot 100 chart to have two Hot 100 No. 1 songs. The song’s success also gave her collaborators Balvin and Bad Bunny their first No. 1 song on the Billboard Hot 100. Aside its massive success in the United States and the United Kingdom, the track also entered the top 10 in several countries around the globe, including Canada, Spain, Portugal and New Zealand.
- According to Billboards, “I Like It” is the 1,076th song to reach number 1 on the Hot 100 since the chart began in 1958.
Does “I Like It” contain any samples?
Yes, it does. The song contains a sample of the 1967 hit song “I Like It Like That” by the renowned American boogaloo musician Pete Rodriguez.
What musical genre is “I Like It”?
This track is purely a Latin trap song.