Meaning of “Topanga” by Trippie Redd
“Topanga” is a hip hop track by American rapper and singer Trippie Redd. The song finds Redd, among other things, talking about taking a girl to Topanga. In general, the song’s lyrics center on a romantic affair between Redd and his woman.
In an interview with Zane Lowe on Apple Music’s famous Beats 1 radio show, Redd threw light on this track. According to him, it and most of the other tracks on A Love Letter to You project (the album the track appears on) has “stuff to do with relationships”.
“I can take you to Topanga
Open my hands like Jesus and save ya”
What is Topanga?
Topanga is a renowned community in the western part of Los Angeles, California. It is highly likely that Redd is referring to this particular community.
Facts about “Topanga”
- Trippie Redd collaborated with music producer DJ Chopsquad on this track. Redd wrote the song whereas Chopsquad produced it.
- On October 22, 2018, the track was officially released.
- Redd premiered this song on Beats 1 during an 11-minute long interview.
- The word “Topanga” appears approximately 6 times in the lyrics of this track.
- Interestingly, this hip hop track samples a gospel song. This gospel song in question is “It Ain’t Over” by American gospel singer Maurette Brown Clark. “It Ain’t Over” can be found on Clark’s 2007 album The Dream.
- This track is the 6th track from his 2018 project A Love Letter to You 3. The track is officially the first single from that album.
- In the song’s artwork, Redd not only dresses himself like Jesus Christ but also mimics him. Two reasons probably account for that. The first reason being that he mentions Jesus in the song’s lyrics. The second being that the song samples a gospel song.
Is this the first time that Chopsquad DJ and Trippie Redd are working together?
No. The pair worked together on Redd’s song “BILAP”. That song came out in July 2018 and featured Chief Keef.