“Nights Like This” by Kehlani (ft. Ty Dolla $ign)
“Nights Like This” is a heartbreak tune recorded by American singer Kehlani alongside rapper Ty Dolla Sign.
Kehlani starts of the track by expressing her deep regrets for giving her heart to a lover, who broke it. However, despite being mistreated and abandoned by her dishonest lover, “on some nights”, she greatly misses their relationship. She misses this lover so much that she finds herself contemplating whether to text or call them. And the interesting thing here is, this lover of hers appears to be a female.
On the other hand, Ty Dolla $ign also finds himself in the same situation as Kehlani. He and a lover have gone their separate ways. On his verse, he talks about how this dishonest lover of his took him for granted and constantly played with his emotions. And just like Kehlani, he also often finds himself thinking about her despite being separated from her for almost a year.
Facts about “Nights Like This”
- Both Kehlani and Ty Dolla Sign receive songwriting credits on this tune.
- Kehlani first teased this tune on social media on January 8, 2019 revealing it would be released on January 10, 2019. And truly she and her team released the song on the said date.
- This wasn’t only the first single Kehlani released in 2019, but it was also Ty Dolla Sign’s.
- Just like countless other songs, “Nights Like This” also received its premiere on “DJ Zane Lowe on Beats 1”.
- There are only three verses in this song. Kehlani handles the first two verses whereas Ty handles the last. There are also three choruses, of which Kehlani solely handles the first two. The last chorus is handled by both Ty and Kehlani. The latter also solely handles the song’s two pre-choruses and outro.
- In announcing the release of the song, Kehlani also revealed something very interesting. According to her, she was six months pregnant when she shot the official music video for “Nights Like This”.
- In addition to starring Kehlani and Ty, the song’s official video also stars American model and actress Tari Elegele. Music video director Bo Mirosseni directed the clip.
Is this Kehlani’s first time working with Ty Dolla $ign?
No. Despite this being their first collaboration to come out, according to Kehlani, this isn’t the first time she’s working with the rapper. Speaking with DJ Zane Lowe during the song’s premiere, she revealed that she and Ty had worked on multiple songs in the past that haven’t been released.